What is RSA?

RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) is a course which is required of all employees to pass before working in any industry which involves serving or supplying alcohol.

Where can I take this course?

You can complete this course online. Here are a selection of websites you can use to complete this course:

How long does it take?

You can complete this course at your own pace. It usually takes about 3 hours to complete.

When should I take this course?

You can complete the online courses before or after arriving in Australia. Depending on how organised you want to be. Just have in mind that you will need a postal address in Australia to be able to enrol onto these courses.

RSA Course State Validity

Each state has its own course which can also be valid in some other states. The prices and courses below are examples from this website: http://www.onlinersa.com.au/

  • ACT course is also valid in QLD, WA, NT, SA and TAS at $54. It is the only course which is eligible in the ACT.
  • NSW course is only valid in NSW. It costs $119.
  • VIC doesn’t allow you do an online course. You have to visit a training provider to complete the course that is specific to this state.The following link gives you more details about this:


RSA Course for New South Wales

On  completion of the New South Wales RSA Course you will receive a certificate and a photo ID card. The certificate allows you 90 days (from the date of receiving the certificate) to be employed without having a photo ID card.

You can only obtain the photo ID card by entering a centre that provides them in NSW (there are various centres across the state). You cannot obtain this photo ID card in any other state. You will need to take your passport and certificate with you when you apply for this ID card.

If you do not obtain your card within the first 90 days of receiving your certificate you cannot be employed by any company that requires you to serve and supply alcohol until you have your ID card.

I thought I’d provide this information for you, because if you decide to complete this course before arriving in NSW then these are some considerations.

If you decide to use the same website that I had (www.onlinersa.com.au) you will be able to complete all the assessments and have it on hold if you do not complete the survey (which activates your certificate start date).I hope that makes sense!

Certificate Requirements

To obtain your certificate at the completion of your course, you need:

  • A postal address.
  • Passport details.
  • USI (Unique Student Identifier) This is your own personal student number, it is free to request one and you only need your passport details to obtain one. https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi
  • Statutory Declaration – Print off the Statutory Declaration form the course provides you at the end. You will need someone with a specific occupation (teacher, lawyer, doctor etc.) to witness your declaration and sign a photocopy of your passport and your declaration. These need to be photocopied and uploaded to your online learning account. These will then be checked by a trainer, before your certificate is emailed to you.